Built in 1936 on property owned by Roland P. McClamroch, it originally had accomodations for 30 tenants.
1936 architectural drawing
From the April 24, 1936 CHW
From the NRHP Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation:
"This three-story, brick apartment building consists of two distinct sections, a hip-roofed section facing Franklin Street and a truncated-hip-roofed section flanked by front-gabled wings, facing Robertson Lane that extends along the left (west) side of the property from Franklin to Rosemary streets. The front wing is seven bays wide and three bays deep with brick quoins at the corners, projecting brick belt courses above and below the first floor, a wide wood cornice, and two hip-roofed dormers on the façade, each with diagonal sheathing and a six-over-six wood-sash window. Centered on the façade is a four-light-over-four-panel door with pedimented surround supported by pilasters. There is an octagonal multi-light window above the entrance, an arched six-over-six window above the octagonal window, and six-over-six wood-sash windows throughout the remainder of the building. The rear (north) elevation features two shed-roofed dormers with four-over-four windows. There is an interior brick chimney at the intersection of the two wings and at the rear of that intersection an original inset corner has been modified. The walls have been moved out to be flush with the rear walls of the two wings and have vinyl siding and six-light French doors with matching sidelights at each level and a three-story, hip-roofed porch supported by square posts. The truncated-hip-roofed section on the west side of the building is set back slightly from the façade of the other section and features a basement level at the north end. It is thirteen bays wide with projecting, pedimented front-gabled wings at each end of the façade and an original projecting hip-roofed section at the left (north) end. It has brick quoins, projecting brick belt courses above and below the first floor, stucco and round windows in the projecting gables, and six-over-six wood-sash windows elsewhere. A four-light-over-four panel door has a pedimented surround with fluted pilasters, an octagonal window above, and an arched six-over-six window, matching the entrance bay of the Franklin Street-facing section. Constructed after 2002 and replacing earlier hip-roofed dormers, are two wide, shed-roofed dormers on the west elevation, each with five windows, and a modern wood railing at the roof ridge. There is a small shed-roofed dormer on the north elevation, likely also added after 2002, and French doors centered on each level of this elevation have metal balconies. Basement-level entrances on the east and west elevations of this hip-roofed section are nine-light-over-panel doors sheltered by flat metal awnings. A wide, shed-roofed dormer with fourteen windows on the east elevation was also constructed after 2002."
View north, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)