Built in 1925 for Brodie and Lovie Thompson by Brodie Thompson's building company on land purchased in August 1917.
The property was previously the site of Chapel Hill's first visiting circus (the John H. Sparks Show or John H. Sparks Old Virginia Show, which took place April 3, 1897) and was later the location of the "free school" (prior to the Thompsons purchasing the property).
From the NRHP Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation:
"Constructed in 1925, this two-story, clipped-side-gabled, Colonial Revival-style house is three bays wide and double-pile with two-story, projecting, front-gabled bays on each end of the façade. The house has a brick veneer, eight-over-twelve wood-sash windows on the first floor, and eight-over-eight windows on the second floor, with soldier-course lintels on the first floor and cast stone sills throughout. It has a wide fascia, partial cornice returns, two interior brick chimneys, and wide, flared eaves. There is stucco in the gables with fanlights in the front gables, a fanlight in the right gable, and two eight-over-eight windows in the left gable. The entrance, centered on the façade, is a fifteen-light French door with five-light sidelights and a three-part transom. It is sheltered by a half-round porch supported by columns with a wood railing at the roofline. The brick porch floor extends the full width of the façade and wraps around the left elevation as an uncovered terrace. Centered on the façade is a pedimented dormer with a stuccoed exterior and paired six-light casement windows. A two-story, side-gabled wing on the right (south) elevation has an entrance, matching the main entrance, on its façade, grouped ten-light casement on the right elevation, grouped eight-light casements at the second-floor level, flared eaves, and stucco surrounding a fanlight in the gable. A one-story, hip-roofed porch on the left (north) elevation is supported by columns and extends beyond the rear (east) elevation. The bay that aligns with the rear of the house is enclosed with brick and has a six-over-six window. Behind it, the porch has been enclosed with screens and wood lattice."
View west, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)