This house is said to have been built in the 1830s. John D. Huskey purchased the property from William and Mary Gattis in May 1878 as a half lot. In the 1970s it was described (erroneously?) as the third oldest building in Chapel Hill.
Huskey, the town's blacksmith, lived in the house from 1878 until his death in May 1920.
In February 1977 the Chapel Hill Board of Aldermen approved a special use permit for the Alpha Chi Omega sorority to build a house on the property. Naturally, concerned citizens (and the Chapel Hill Preservation Society) worried that the Huskey House was to be demolished, so the sorority donated it to the CHPS to have it moved off the property. Later that year, the Huskey House was moved to 303 Henderson Street, and was renovated by/for architect Jon Condoret
as a residence.
A new (sorority) house was constructed on the house's original/former site, beginning in December 1977; it was designed by James Webb
A 1976 architectural report described the house as: "The oldest part of this one-story frame house is three bays wide with a central doorway, and two bays deep with small windows flanking a step-shouldered chimney of brick laid in common bond. The fireplace opening inside this part of the house is large and arched. Apparently a hip-roof porch once extended across the front."
The house at its post-1977 site, 12.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
The house with rear additions (and new chimney) at its post-1977 site, 12.9.2021 (photo by S. Rankin)
The current sorority house on the property, view north, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)