09.24.2016 (G. Kueber)
Text from Orange County survey performed by hmw Preservation 2017
”The one-story, concrete block commercial store building is three bays wide and features a parapet roofline concealing a shallow gabled roof. The façade is pierced by a central wood entrance door of three-lights-over- two-panels which is flanked by large 16-light metal frame fixed windows that have soldier course lintels and brick header course sills. The side elevations are both pierced by a large 16-light metal window at their eastern ends and two other small window bays that sit near the top of the elevation. The rear (west) elevation is also three bays, with a central wood door of three-lights-over-three-panels (accessed by a descending concrete and brick stair) flanked by two window bays of four-light metal sash fixed windows. Vertical wood sheathing fills the gable end of the west elevation and a concrete block exterior chimney flue rises at this elevation through the roof. The remnants of a concrete pad for gas pumps are evident in front of the store to the east. Two mid-twentieth century houses are also located on the parcel with Cole's Store, one located directly north and one located directly west of the store.
This mid-twentieth century concrete block store and the adjacent houses to its north and west were built during the mid-twentieth century, with county tax records indicating the house to the north being built ca. 1952. The earliest deed associated with the property is a 1951 deed from F. S. and Virginia Cates to James Waddell. In 1964, Waddell sold the property to Cheshire and Flora Cole (his daughter and son-in-law), who operated a gas station and general store (Cole's Store) in the building through the 1980s.”