Brodie S. Carr started his grocery business across the street in a filling station in 1925. In 1949-1950, he had the building extensively remodeled; it was rebuilt with brick and expanded to 3,000 square feet. It was Hillsborough's first supermarket. However, its popularity/success led Carr and his son into having a much larger structure (this structure) built in 1960-1961 across the street from the original location.
View north, March 1961 (photo via The News of Orange)
The store had its grand opening March 9, 1961 (which lasted through through April 15). Its sales floor (terrazo, BTW) was 10,000 square feet, with 7,600 square feet of storage space. It boasted of 115 shopping carts (plus 10 kids' sized ones)!
Interior view (of the 46 foot long produce case), March 1961 (photo via The News of Orange)
Interior view (of the 48 foot long meat case), March 1961 (photo via The News of Orange)
Interior view (of a grocery aisle), March 1961 (photo via The News of Orange)
In November 1989 Orange County purchased the property from the Carr family and have been using it as administrative offices. The county had the structure renovated, with a new roof system and facade/extension/enclosure added.
View north, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)