412 W. CAMERON AVE. / MASON-LLOYD-WILEY HOUSE

412 W. CAMERON AVE. / MASON-LLOYD-WILEY HOUSE

412
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1850-1861
/ Modified in
1997
People: 
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sun, 10/01/2023 - 9:28am by SteveR

Comments

412
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1850-1861
/ Modified in
1997
People: 
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

 

From the 1998 NRHP nomination:
"An antebellum house of brick construction, which was rare in early Chapel Hill, the structure also incorporates pine pegging and hand-forged nails into its construction. The house also features end chimneys, gable-end returns, nine-over-nine first-story and six-over-six second-story fenestration headed by jack arches, and a double-leaved entry door with sidelights. A single-story rear ell was raised to two stories during a later renovation. The yard features mature, well-trimmed box woods and some outbuildings that may be original. The first-known owner of the house was James B. Mason, who was associated with the house from his purchase of the property in 1878 from Turner Bynum, and who was on the trustees committee when the university closed after the Civil War. The house was next purchased in 1885 by Thomas Lloyd, a Confederate veteran and industrialist...The Wiley ownership dates from the mid-1930s."
 
From the 2015 Survey Update:
"The house has nine-over-six wood-sash windows at the second-floor level. The double-leaf two-panel doors have five-light-over-one-panel sidelights and are sheltered by a near-full-width, hip-roofed porch, constructed after 1997 and supported by columns; the porch follows the footprint of a porch present on the 1915, 1925, 1932, and 1949 Sanborn maps. The house has a replacement 5V metal roof. A one-story wing at the left rear (northwest) was enlarged before 1992 with a partial second story. It was enlarged again after 1997 resulting in a full second story on the rear ell. The second-floor level of the ell has plain weatherboards and nine-over-six windows. A first-floor inset porch at the right rear (northeast) corner of the rear ell is supported by square columns and has been enclosed with nine-over-nine windows and a replacement door with five-light transom. Were the NRHD updated, the status of this house would be dependant on the documentation used for the construction of the replacement front porch."
 
1892 (photo by Kemp P. Battle, via UNC)
 
View north, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
 
View east, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
 
Outbuildings, view east, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
 
Circa 1860 smokehouse, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
 
Smokehouse and well, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
 
View north, 2014 (photo by Heather Slane)
 
December 1915 Sanborn map excerpt
 
June 1925 Sanborn map excerpt
 
 
 
SOURCES:
 
Orange County Register of Deeds
 Deed Book 91, Page 219
 Deed Book 108, Page 247.5
 Deed Book 1384, Page 358
 Plat Book 1, Page 99
 
Kaye Graybeal, National Register of Historic Places Nomination: West Chapel Hill Historic District, Orange County OR1439 (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 1998).
 
Heather Slane and Cheri Szcodronski, 2015 Survey Update; courtesy of the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office.

Add new comment