420 CALVIN ST.

https://openorangenc.org/sites/default/files/images/u18/HBL1950s1.jpghttps://openorangenc.org/sites/default/files/images/u18/hblaSanborn1943.jpg/sites/default/files/images/OO_Aug2016/420Calvin_081416.jpg

420 CALVIN ST.

420
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1950
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 

Comments

  • Submitted by SteveR on Sunday, January 17, 2021 - 4:51pm

    A toy bank facsimile from the 1960s

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sun, 01/17/2021 - 4:48pm by gary

Comments

420
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1950
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 

 

1950s

Built in 1950 on property purchased from the Cates family in September 1949. There was a small automobile garage structure on the property prior to this structure being built.

1943 Sanborn map excerpt

Originally named Hillsboro Building & Loan Association (until 1965, when it was renamed Hillsboro Savings & Loan Association), it mainly served the mills and employees. It became a branch of the downtown Hillsborough location when that building was built in 1960. In 1973, the property was no longer used as a bank and sold to the Fuqua family.

(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)

The one-story, Colonial Revival-style building is three bays wide and triple-pile with a full- width rear gable. It has a brick veneer laid in a five-to-one common bond and twenty-light metal windows with operable casements on the front side-gabled section. There are two gabled dormers on the fac╠žade, each with German-profile weatherboards on the front, wood shingles on the sides, and paired four-light metal casement windows. The four-light-over-four-panel door has a single pane of glass installed in place of the upper two panels. It has a classical surround with fluted pilasters and a broken pediment. There are high, small windows on the side elevations of the rear gable and a tall brick chimney within the rear gable. A four-light-over-four-panel door on the right (east) elevation has pilasters and a single-light transom. The building was likely erected in the early 1950s and stands on the site of an earlier wholesale grocery. The Hillsborough Savings Bank erected a new building on North Churton Street in 1960 and this building [became] a residence.

In 2016, the building was converted to an artist's studio/gallery.

08.14.2016 (G. Kueber)

Comments

A toy bank facsimile from the 1960s

Add new comment