This brick structure was built circa 1928 on the site of an earlier wood structure. The first known occupant is unknown. From circa 1939 to circa 1949 it was Patterson's Tire Company, operated by Ernest B. Patterson
. Patterson died in December 1947, and his relatives operated the business for about a year. Lewis Auto Supply took over the business until circa 1950.
In late June 1951 William B. Poe
's physician/chiropractic office opened in part of the building, with Goldman's House of Music occupying the other section. Circa 1953, Village Radio & Television Service took over the Goldman's space; in April 1963 Tilghman's Repair Service/appliance repairs took over the Village Radio & Television space; By 1972 the clothing store Walk-In Closet took over the Tilghman's space; By 1972 the News & Observer took over the Tilghman's space; by 1973 an arcade Silver Odyssey took over the N&O space. It's hard to keep track of the businesses that occupied the sections of this building, as there appears to have been up to three businesses at a time. Dr. Poe was till in his space this entire time, BTW, until he died in 1979.
In 1988 it became The Studio Supply, which was in business until circa 2019. The Lantern Restaurant
soon took over the vacant space and still occupies the structure.
Circa 1960 aerial photo excerpt (via UNC)
Building at right of photo, 1963 (photo by Richard A. Lamanna via UNC)
View south east, 1963 (Photo by Don Irish)
June 1925 Sanborn map excerpt, showing earlier building (at #333)
February 1945 ad
September 1949 ad
March 1951 ad
June 1951 ad
March 1955 ad
April 1963 ad
March 1969 ad
October 1980 ad
December 1987 ad