Circa 1900, the Nevill (or Neville) family purchased land in the section of Chapel Hill now known as Northside. This property is part of the lot
that was transferred to Louisa ("Lou") Nevill in 1921. The house was likely built for Elizabeth Cotten
and her husband, Frank, circa 1920 (they were married on November 7, 1910).
1915 Sanborn map excerpt; this structure is above/north of the one circled in red
1934 map excerpt
In 1955, Lillie Nevill (Elizabeth's sister?) sued Elizabeth and Frank Cotten to obtain the right to sell the property.
While some additions and renovations have been made, this structure appears to be the original structure that was built on the property.
View north east, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)
View south east, June 2019 (via Google Streetview)