Built in 1956 for Dr. Sidney S. and Christine F. Chipman, on property purchased in February 1955 from the Pritchard family (OCRDO Deed Book 153, Page 206); it was built on Lot 23 of Forest Hills subdivision. Archie Royal Davis was the architect.
Interior house plan sketch (via The Chapel Hill News Leader, 05.28.1956)
Sold by the Chipmans to Hugh J. and Josephine L Miser in August 1959. Sold by the Misers to J. D. and Jean Phillips in August 1960. Purchased in 1972 by R. B. and Carolyn F. Rainey. Etc.
For contemporary interior photos, see a 1956 article
in The Chapel Hill News Leader
Located on a large, elevated, and wooded lot on the east side of Dogwood Drive, the gable-onhip-roofed Ranch house is difficult to see from the street. It is four bays wide and double-pile with a projecting wing at the left (west) end of the façade. It has asbestos siding, replacement vinyl casement windows, and a standing seam metal roof with interior brick chimney. The inset entry, located near the center of the façade has an integrated concrete-block planter on its left side with a single narrow window on the left end of the façade. To the right (east) of the entrance is a wide picture window flanked by one-light casement windows and there is an inset screened porch at the right (southeast) corner of the house. There is a stone retaining wall at the street and stone steps lead from the street to the front door, though the residents clearly use the rear entrance, a door accessed via a large rear wood deck. County tax records date the house to 1957 and the earliest known occupants are Sidney S. Chipman, head of the Department of Maternal and Child Health at the University of North Carolina, and his wife, Christine F. Chipman.