The original eight-room section of the school was built in 1924 on property purchased from the McDade family. The school was named after former NC Governor Charles B. Aycock. It was a segregated school and only white students were allowed to attend.
View north west, late 1924 (via Mac McDade, from Aycock High School's Facebook page)
View west, 1944
The school was expanded in the 1940s and 1950s; the architect was Archie Royal Davis.
Hillsborough High School and Aycock High School were consolidated (and turned into junior high and/or elementary schools) in 1963 when Orange High School was built (some of the Aycock senior class transferred to Eastern Alamance High School in Mebane, but most went to OHS). The building and property was sold by the school board to the Cedar Grove Ruritan Club in December 1973.
The majority of the school was demolished at some point in the 1970s. There are a few of the support buildings still standing, however, and they are still being utilized by the community.
"Aycock High School just before destruction" (via Mac McDade, from Aycock High School's Facebook page)
"Aycock during destruction" (via Mac McDade, from Aycock High School's Facebook page)
View south west, June 2013 (via Google Streetview)