8 COBB TERRACE / STRUDWICK HOUSE

8 COBB TERRACE / STRUDWICK HOUSE

8
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1910-1915
/ Modified in
2004-2018
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Thu, 12/23/2021 - 12:25pm by SteveR

Comments

8
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Built in
1910-1915
/ Modified in
2004-2018
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

 

This structure was built prior to the development of "Cobb Terrace," likely sometime between 1910 and 1915.
 
The following information is from: Chapel Hill Historic District Boundary Increase and  Additional Documentation, Chapel Hill, Orange County, OR1750, by Heather Wagner Slane, December 2013:
 
Built concurrent with the neighboring house as 6 Cobb Terrace, Sanborn maps indicate that the house originally had the same plan. The two-story, hip-roofed Craftsman-style house is three bays wide and triple pile with a projecting, second-floor, hip-roofed wing centered on the façade. The building has plain weatherboards, one-over-one wood-sash windows, and an exterior brick chimney on the right (south) elevation. A replacement six-panel door is sheltered by a hip-roofed porch on square columns. The house has been significantly altered with the addition of a hip-roofed two-story wing on the north elevation and the enclosure of the left (north) end of the porch as it wraps around the two-story wing. Additionally, a one-story-with-basement, hip-roofed wing at the left rear (northeast) has a projecting gable at the rear (east) and is flanked by shed-roofed bays that are fully enclosed with windows creating a large sunroom. The rear of the house has a one-story, shed-roofed wing, perhaps originally constructed as a porch. There is an inset porch at the left rear and a basement level entrance in the one-story, hiproofed wing. A loose-stacked stone wall is located in the front yard and there is an unpainted picket fence at the street. The building appears on the 1915 Sanborn map and the earliest occupants were likely the Strudwick family.
 
View east, 1992 (photo by Mary Beth Gatza)
 
View east, 2014 (photo by Heather Wagner Slane)
 
#8 is on the left; circa 1924 postcard excerpt (by The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., via UNC)

Add new comment