1970 Bird's eye view of the Carr Mill in downtown Carrboro
Circa 1900, view north (photo via CHHS)
02.01.1945 (News of Orange County via DigitalNC)
Circa 1970, view west (photo via CHHS)
Circa 1970, view southwest (photo via CHHS)
In 1974 the Carrboro Board of Aldermen decided to have the mill demolished. Their ideas for the property included building a new, "modern" shopping mall. However, members of the Carrboro-Chapel Hill community (led by local resident Frances Lloyd Shetley) appealed to the the Carrboro Board of Aldermen for the restoration of the mill. In June 1975, the mill complex was nominated for the National Register of Historic Places (and was owned by Edward E. Yaggy, Jr.).
Circa 1975, view northwest (photo by Brent Glass/Kathleen Pep)
In 1977 the structure was reopened as Carr Mill Mall. The complex now houses mainly restaurants and stores, with commercial office space on its upper levels.
View south east, 1977 (via DTH)
Circa 1978, view east (photo by Jerry Cotten via CHHS)
Circa 1978, view southwest (photo by Jerry Cotten via CHHS)
Carr Mill Mall, 05.22.11 (G. Kueber)
For more information, see https://files.nc.gov/ncdcr/nr/OR0001.pdf