BARNS (OCCONEECHEE FARM)

BARNS (OCCONEECHEE FARM)

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1891-1895
/ Modified in
1979-1981
/ Demolished in
2020-2023
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
,
Use: 
,

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Wed, 03/27/2024 - 1:17pm by SteveR

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1891-1895
/ Modified in
1979-1981
/ Demolished in
2020-2023
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
,
Use: 
,

 

All the barns on Occoneechee Farm were built circa 1891. The main barns were: A three-story horse barn with a slate roof, oak floors, stalls for 36 horses, and a basement for mules; a two-story dairy barn (built first) with a concrete floor and 56 milking stanchions (designed by a Professor Benjamin Irby of North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts); and a large sheep barn. The main barn was also used for larger social functions.

In 1919 there was a tornado that damaged or destroyed several of the barns. The dairy barn was the hardest hit, with the roof collapsing, killing ten cows. Other livestock and horses were killed; they were said to have been buried in a mass grave in one of the large fields.

One of the barns was moved to Florida in the late 1940s or early 1950s. By 1955, none of the barns were standing, and the areas they were once located on were developed by then.

View south east, April 17, 1903 (from the Albert Barden Collection)

View north, April 17, 1903 (from the Albert Barden Collection)

Circa 1915 postcard, view north (courtesy Orange County Museum)

 
SOURCES:
Mena Webb. Jule Carr: General Without an Army. University of North Carolina Press, 1987.
The Durham Daily Globe, November 27, 1891
The News of Orange, July 1, 1980
The Orange County Observer, February 9, 1895

 

Add new comment