BIVINS BASKET FACTORY (FIRST LOCATION)

BIVINS BASKET FACTORY (FIRST LOCATION)

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1870-1920
/ Demolished in
1925-1930
Businesses: 
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Thu, 09/22/2016 - 11:51am by gary

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1870-1920
/ Demolished in
1925-1930
Businesses: 
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
Type: 

 

The company began operation in the early 1920s by O.D. Bivins and Claude Bivins as the Bivins Basket Factory, at the southeast corner of Occoneechee Street and Margaret Lane. The company mainly manufactured tobacco baskets for tobacco farmers' use while at auction.

 

1924 Sanborn Map

 

By the 1930s the company moved to a new location on the Hillsboro-Durham Highway (present-day Highway 70 Business) just southeast of Hillsborough.

Add new comment