When Thomas F. Lloyd first opened his Alberta Cotton Mill in 1899 in Carrboro, his company occupied only the first floor of the two-story brick structure. In early 1902, the second floor of the structure was occupied by the Blanche Hosiery Mill, initially operated by William E. Lindsay and Issac W. Pritchard. “Blanche” was named for Lindsay’s second wife, who was also a company trustee. It initially employed 20 people.
Within a few years, Lloyd’s mill needed to expand, and the Blanche Hosiery Mill moved out and built a small, one-story frame factory a few blocks away (on Lindsay Street). On March 9, 1909, Julian S. Carr's Durham Hosiery Mills Company purchased the Blanche Hosiery Mill from Lindsay, Pritchard, and J.J. Pritchard for $9,800.00, and consolidated it with Lloyd’s Alberta, which he also recently purchased, into Durham Hosiery Mill Number 4.
In March 1913, the Blanche Hosiery Mill re-incorporated, and occupied the former Thelma Knitting Mill complex on Old Greensboro Street; the main mill building was a one-story wood structure. In 1915, the mill ceased operation. Its corporation was dissolved in January 1916.
The former Blanche Hosiery Mill complex, 1915 (Sanborn map excerpt)
Over time, various company officers were: William S. Roberson (president), William E. Lindsay (president, secretary, treasurer), Issac W. Pritchard (owner), Blanche Lindsay (trustee), W.R. Lloyd (president/owner), and Mr. Hogan (owner).
The Lindsay Street building was divided in half sometime between 1925 and 1932, and is now 102 and 104 Lindsay Street. The company's 1913-1915 location is part of the space that Fitch Lumber currently occupies and now bisected by East Poplar Avenue.