07.23.2016 (G. Kueber)
Constructed on the grounds of Paul Cameron’s Burnside estate, this one-story, flat-roofed elementary school was built in 1956. The school consists of two parallel wings, each with exposed concrete framing and brick veneer between the concrete supports. The classroom sections of the building have brick on the lower one-fourth of the wall with stucco and grouped windows above. The cafeteria, at the north end of the right (west) wing has high ribbon windows, while the gymnasium, at the north end of the left (east) wing has full- height brick veneer. An entrance on the right elevation is sheltered by a projecting gabled canopy supported by metal posts and a flat-roofed canopy shelters the walkway on the left elevation. A narrow hyphen connects the two wings, creating an H-shaped plan and a flat-roofed addition at the rear (south) elevation (completed in 1989) has brick veneer on the lower part of the wall, metal-frame windows, and concrete-block on the upper part of the wall [HDC]. Utility areas north of the building are screened by brick walls. Lines of trees separate the school from St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church on the west and Montrose on the east. There are open athletic fields southwest of the school and the wooded area to the far south is part of the arboretum planted by Paul Cameron.