The original Canada School was a private school in Chapel Hill, serving white students. It was located at the southwest corner of Franklin and Columbia streets, where the Baptist Church is located. It was formerly a hotel. The school opened in September 1896 under the supervision of UNC graduate John W. Canada.
View west, 1890s
1911 Sanborn map excerpt (school building is circled in red)
School staff, 1898
Students, circa 1900
Circa 1900, a new building was built for the school on Pittsboro Street, but John Canada moved to Denver, Colorado before it was completed. The former school building became a boarding house, and was later demolished to make way for the Baptist Church.
1915 Sanborn map excerpt (former school building is circled in red)