This store was operated by members of the Cates family, mainly for use by inhabitants of the Mountain mill village. It was also later known as "Uncle" Bob Ashley's store.
Store proprietor Robert A. Ashley died in May 1952; the store's contents were then auctioned, and the store closed.
The store is not depicted on the 1924 or 1943 Sanborn maps, but does appear on the 1955 aerial photo. It was described as "the old abandoned Cates' store on the mountain" in an October 1957 News of Orange article.
(Photo via the Cates family)
From the July 1952 News of Orange