CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (ORIGINAL)

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (ORIGINAL)

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1937
/ Demolished in
1958
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Thu, 10/14/2021 - 5:57pm by SteveR

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1937
/ Demolished in
1958
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Central High School, located in Hillsborough, was initially named the "Hillsborough High School for Negroes"; the 12-room main structure was built in July 1936, on property purchased from Louis Wilson and George Mayo. Mr. C. E. Hester was the first principal, and the school initially served first through eleventh grades (and a "secret" kindergarten class was also taught in its library for awhile). The school's library also served the local black community as a public library. 

Hillsborough High School for Negroes' main building, 1936

Graded School (Colored), 1943 (Sanborn)

Students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Teachers, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Teachers, with Mr. Stanback on right, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
Teachers and students, 1939 (H. Lee Waters excerpt)
 
In 1942, teacher Albert L. Stanback became principal, and had the school renamed Central High School in 1943. In the early 1950s, the elementary school grade classes were moved from Central's campus to a new segregated county school (Cedar Grove Elementary) north of Hillsborough. 

1955 aerial (UNC)

1957 (Blue Flame / Central High School Yearbook, 1957)

1957

 

During the morning of February 14, 1958, Central High's main building burned down; students were schooled in a newly-built structure on the campus that was intended for junior high students.

Between 1958 and 1959, several new buildings were constructed on the campus.
 
 
 
 
 

Add new comment