View north, circa 1926 (Photo by Collier Cobb, via UNC)
The Chapel Hill Country Club was founded circa 1907. This is their second or third clubhouse; it opened May 17, 1923. It was built on property donated by William C. Coker
. The area was at one time nicknamed "Goat Hill."
The club's original four-hole golf course opened here when the new country club clubhouse was built. The golf course was expanded to nine holes soon afterwards. There were also tennis courts built. At the time the new clubhouse was built, the club 94 had members.
The Chapel Hill Country Club sold this property to the Mormon Church in 1977, after moving to a new/its current location a few years earlier.
The current structure was built in 1997 and is used as the Institute of Religion for the CJCLDS.
View south east, November 2018 (via Google Streetview)