CHAPEL HILL FIRE DEPARTMENT / FIRE HOUSE HILL
The two-story, purpose-built brick structure was built in 1921-1922, and was located in the middle of Columbia Street, just north of Rosemary Street. It replaced a smaller, wood frame fire house/jail house structure.
- This building does not appear in any tours yet.
- Mon, 03/13/2023 - 11:07am by SteveR
View north, 1920s (image courtesy of UNC)
View north, 1925 (image courtesy of UNC)
View south, 1925 (image courtesy of UNC)
View north, 1927 (image courtesy of UNC)
View south, 1927 (image courtesy of UNC)
1925 Sanborn map excerpt
View north east, 1920s or 1930s (photo via Chapel Hill Fire Department)
1933 map excerpt
The structure was ordered to erected in a town meeting on August 4, 1921. The location was to be in “the middle of Columbia Street just north of Rosemary Street,” with the cost to be approximately $4,000. Mayor William S. Roberson appointed Dr. Pratt and M. W. Durham to serve with the Fire Committee as a Building Committee to “let contract and supervise construction.”
The contract information, from the town minutes and transcribed by Mike Legeros:
It remained in use into the 1930s, and wasn't demolished (or likely dismantled and moved after it was sold) until the Chapel Hill Town Hall was built in 1939. Its former location was called "Fire House Hill" long after the structure was gone.
No comments yet.
Add new comment