View south west, 1919
The Chapel Hill Graded School (for the use of all elementary and high-school aged students), later the Chapel Hill High School and then the Chapel Hill Junior High School, was built in late 1915-early/spring 1916 as a replacement for the original Chapel Hill Graded School. It was designed by the architectural firm of Hook & Rogers of Charlotte. The property it was built in was originally a section of the Cole-Hill House property (the house may have been moved slightly). It was paid for via a $35,000 school bond.
The auditorium was used for rehearsals and production of three plays by the first Carolina Playmakers production, including Thomas Wolfe's The Return of Buck Gavin, in 1919.
In 1922, another school bond (for $40,000) was approved for a building expansion and for a gymnasium to be built (the gymnasium building was built using steel from the Blaw-Know Company of Pittsburgh, PA), both by 1925.
Was Chapel Hill High until the new high school was built in 1936-1937; it then became the junior high.
Circa 1915 architectural drawing, by Hook & Rogers
1915 Sanborn map excerpt
1925 Sanborn map excerpt, showing gymnasium to south west of school
View south, 1924
View north (rear of building), 1925
View south, 1930s
School gymnasium (built circa 1925), 1954 (via CHHS Hill Life)