CHAPEL HILL HIGH SCHOOL (SECOND LOCATION)
- WORKS PROGRESS ADMINISTRATION (WPA) PROJECTS by SteveR, Mon, 01/25/2021 - 4:43pm
- Sun, 01/24/2021 - 1:54pm by SteveR
Built in 1936-1937 (finished in March 1937) as a WPA/PWA project. The architect was Atwood & Weeks, with George W. Kane as contractor. It was built on property deeded to Orange County by UNC, with the stipulation that the land will revert back to UNC if the property is no longer used for public school purposes by the county.
Under construction; view north west, circa 1936 (photo by Bayard Wootten)
Floorplan (From "Public buildings: a survey of architecture of projects constructed by federal and other governmental bodies between the years 1933 and 1939 with the assistance of the Public Works Administration")
View north west, circa 1942
The building burned down the morning of August 8, 1942. The exact cause was unknown, but according to the CHFD, a possible cause was "overloaded [electrical] lines and plugs."
The school was not rebuilt on the site, and it moved to a new West Franklin Street location after World War Two. Several locations (mainly the Baptist Church) were used as temporary classrooms for high school students until a new school was built. As was stipulated in the deed, the property reverted back to UNC.
UNC's Beard Hall (built in 1957) is currently located on the former site of the high school. Interestingly, it somewhat resembles the former high school building.
View west, August 2019 (via Google Streetview)
No comments yet.
Add new comment