THE CLUB HOUSE (OCCONEECHEE FARM)

/sites/default/files/images/OO_July2016/occoneecheefarm_poplarhill.jpg/sites/default/files/images/OO_July2016/occoneecheefarm_pcard(1).jpg

THE CLUB HOUSE (OCCONEECHEE FARM)

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1891-1895
/ Demolished in
1955-1975
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Mon, 03/25/2024 - 12:27pm by SteveR

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1891-1895
/ Demolished in
1955-1975
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
Type: 
Use: 

 

Built sometime between 1891 and 1895, the "club house" was where private and public dances, dinners, and other such indoor activites occurred on Occoneechee Farm.

In a May 1895 newspaper article, it was described as "a handsome new high-raftered building in the rustic style, with a large stone fire-place and cosy nooks in its corners; it is equipped with pool table, piano, desks, all the latest periodicals, and in one corner stands a massive clock that on the striking of the hour plays 'Carolina'."


The clubhouse, at left, circa 1900 (courtesy Durham County Library)


Circa 1910 postcard of the farm, with the clubhouse at far left (courtesy Orange County Museum)

1945 ad for Poplar Hill (from the July 26, 1945 News of Orange)

Add new comment