COLE HOTEL

COLE HOTEL

132
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1905
/ Modified in
1920
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Tue, 12/17/2019 - 8:04pm by gary

Comments

132
,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1905
/ Modified in
1920
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 
,

 

07.02.2016 (G. Kueber)

From the National Register nomination:

The two-story, side-gabled Cole Hotel (now a private residence) is three bays wide and double-pile with weatherboards, cornice returns, an interior brick chimney, and a 5V metal roof. The house has two-over- two wood-sash windows in arched wood surrounds. A double-leaf one-light-over-two-panel door with a molded surround is centered on the façade and is sheltered by a one-bay-wide, front-gabled porch supported by square columns. There is an uncovered brick terrace on the right end of the façade and a flat-roofed porch on the right (east) elevation is supported by square columns and has a wood railing at the roofline. There is a one-story, gabled screened porch at the right rear (northeast) and a two-story, shed-roofed wing at the left rear (northwest) with a second-story wood deck to its north. The building first appears on the 1905 Sanborn maps as a one-story residence with a rear ell. By 1911, the building is labeled as the Cole Hotel, a portion of the area within the ell had been enclosed, and the building is shown as one-and-a-half stories (though it is likely that the building had been constructed with one-and-a-half stories). By 1924, the building had been enlarged to a full two stories and had a porch that wrapped around both ends of the façade. Before 1943, the building reverted to a residence and sometime thereafter the wraparound porch was removed

Stationery letterhead from 05 April 1915 (receipt to OC sheriff for feeding jurors)

Stationery letterhead from 1916

Add new comment