THE COOP (ORIGINAL LOCATION) / THE CABIN
- FRATERNITY ROW by SteveR, Tue, 03/21/2023 - 5:49pm
- Sat, 03/11/2023 - 11:45am by SteveR
In 1909 or early 1910, Jesse Jones opened "The Coop,” a members-only dining facility that catered to university students, especially fraternity members. It was located east of (just to the rear of) the present-day Ackland Art Museum building, near several fraternity houses.
Jones died August 1, 1912, but his business was continued by Harrison Neville.
The Coop was enlarged and expanded (structure-wise) and its main entrance moved to the south side of the structure in 1916 or 1917. The business moved from this original location to a new building next door (to the east) in 1917 or 1918. In 1921, a take-off of the Coop, named "The Cabin," occupied this original Coop building and continued in operation until 1935.
The buildings were likely demolished when the Ackland Art Museum was built in 1958.
The Coop, view west, 1910
1911 Sanborn map excerpt (circled in red)
1915 Sanborn map excerpt ("Restrt")
View north, 1921
1925 Sanborn map excerpt (structure #8)
View south east, 1926
View north, 1927
1927 plat map; the Cabin is on Lot #6
View north, 1929
1932 Sanborn map excerpt (structure #8)
View north, 1933
No comments yet.
Add new comment