DR. ARCH JORDAN HOUSE

DR. ARCH JORDAN HOUSE

7015
,
Caldwell
NC
Built in
1875-1885
/ Modified in
1905
,
1929
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
,
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Use: 
,
,

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Mon, 06/03/2024 - 10:39am by SteveR

Comments

7015
,
Caldwell
NC
Built in
1875-1885
/ Modified in
1905
,
1929
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
,
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Use: 
,
,

 

The Dr. Arch Jordan House was built sometime between 1875 and 1885. It is a two-story, single pile, central hall plan, Italianate style frame dwelling. It features a central projecting gable, bracketed eaves, and a columned porch with a low hipped roof. Attached at the rear is an originally-separate two-story kitchen building. Also on the property are the contributing combination smokehouse/food storage shed, log and weatherboard tobacco barn, and 1-1⁄2-story main barn. The public road once passed immediately in front of the house, but was realigned sometime between 1938 and 1955.

Archibaled Currie Jordan, Sr. was a local physician, a trustee of and teacher at the nearby Caldwell Institute, and an elder of the Little River Presbyterian Church. Across from his house on present-day NC 57, Dr. Jordan and his brother, Thomas, operated the nearby Little River General Store and Pharmacy beginning circa 1870. Dr. Jordan lived in this house until 1905, when it was purchased by three local churches to use as a manse, which continued until 1929.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

For more information, see Keith A. Zahniser, Dr. Arch Jordan House, National Register of Historic Places - Nomination and Inventory. North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, 1998.

View north east, circa 1998 (photo by Adriana M. Brodsky)

View north east, March 2007 (photo via Wikipedia)

Add new comment