ENO UNITED METHODIST
1962 (History of the Churches of Hillsborough)
Text from OC survey, hmw Preservation, 2017:
"The one-story, front-gabled frame church has a brick foundation, vinyl siding, and a single bay on its façade: a recessed entrance with paired replacement doors and topped with a pointed-arch stained glass transom accessed by brick and concrete steps. The transom reads “Eno United Methodist Church Founded 1906” and above the entrance is a pointed-arch vent. A belfry, located above the entrance and now enclosed, has vinyl siding and a bellcast pyramidal roof topped by a metal spire. The side elevations of the sanctuary are each four bays deep with pointed-arch stained glass windows. A side-gabled rear addition has large, two-over-two wood sash windows on the gable ends and entrances on the south elevation, facing Eno Street, each a solid door with three lights and sheltered by a shed roof. A brick sign and flagpole flank the front entrance.
Established in 1906, the Eno United Methodist Church served employees of the Eno Cotton Mill and its village as well as residents of West Hillsborough. Constructed in 1908 on land donated by Allen Ruffin with construction funded by the Eno Cotton Mills, the church received a rear addition around 1920. A deed of trust from 1938 records the sale of lots 77 and 78 of the J. B. Mason property to the Trustees of the Eno Methodist Church, which occupied the adjacent Lot 76. This corroborates muliple sources that claim that the church was remodeled in 1938 and moved back (north) from the railroad and that the adjacent parsonage (901 Eno) was constructed at this time as well. In 1940 the church served a congregation of over 140 members. As of 2017 it is still in operation.
Located directly to the west of the Eno United Methodist Church, the one-story, frame fellowship hall known as “the hut” was moved to the present location during the 1950s from the Eno Mill Village. The triple-A-roofed building is three bays wide and single pile with vinyl siding and windows, a metal roof, and a central one-light- over-two-panel entrance door flanked by replacement six-over-six windows. A small shed-roofed porch shelters the primary entrance and is accessed by brick steps. The building has a gabled ell at the northeast and an enclosed shed porch extending from its west elevation. A wooden ADA ramp is located at the west elevation of the building."
07.02.16 (G. Kueber)
No comments yet.
Add new comment