In August 1844, Thomas W. Holden and his business partner, his son-in-law John F. Lyon, purchased what became known as "Enoe Mills" from John McKrall.
At the end of 1844, Holden tried to sell his share in the mill (see ad below), and moved to Milton. He transferred the mill to Lyon in 1851. After financial difficulties, and likely the Civil War, Lyon sold the mill in 1868.
The mill reopened sometime after 1882 under the ownership of Samuel A. Cole; it ceased operation after his death in 1893. What remained of the mills was destroyed in the August 1908 flood.
1845 ad from the Hillsborough Recorder
Thomas W. Holden operated a post office at Enoe Mills from January 17, 1840 to March 29, 1860.