This Farmers Exchange warehouse opened March 1944. Its first manager was John S. Williams.
As part of an expansion to become a much larger cooperative endeavor, the Farmers Exchange became part of the Central Carolina Farmers Exchange Inc. in the early 1950s.
Central Carolina Farmers merged with Raleigh-based FCX in 1980. FCX entered bankruptcy and sold the property to Southern States in 1986.
The garden center and greenhouse were added in mid-1989, the parking lot was paved and lighting added.
It is still a thriving business.
Excerpt of 1947 Associated Factory Mutual Fire Insurance Companies map (via UNC)
View east, December 2022 (via Google Streetview)
 Chapel Hill Weekly Dec 8, 1944
 Orange County Register of Deeds, Deed Book 340, Page 603; Deed Book 562, Page 340; also see opendurham.org/businesses/durham-farmers-mutual-exchange-central-carolina-farmers-exchange
 Daily Tar Heel March 30, 1989