This is part of historic Town Lot 10. In the early 1800s, the Frederick Nash House
was built on this property; it was later the Nash-Kollock School.
In 1947, H. S. Cates sold the property to James and Bessie Jones. The Nash house was torn down in 1947. In 1948 the Farmers' Mutual Warehouse was built; it opened August 21, 1948. Its first manager was J. Hubert McAdams.
View south west from Margaret Lane, mid-1950s (from "This Is Central Carolina Farmers Exchange" brochure). Inset photo shows J. H. McAdams.
View south west (image is flipped/reversed), August 8. 1948 (via The News of Orange)
Central Carolina Farmers merged with Raleigh-based FCX in 1980. FCX entered bankruptcy and sold the property to Southern States in 1986.
After Southern States moved out of the building in the late 1990s, the structure was used for various businesses, including an architectural salvage company.
The building was to be used as the Hillsborough store for Weaver Street Market
, but the structure was found to be contaminated and would have cost too much to remediate.
The building was torn down (some of it was salvaged) in 2008 and replaced with a multi-use Orange County government building in 2010.
View south west, circa 1996 (photo by Susan Bellinger)
View south, circa 1996 (Town of Hillsborough inventory)
1963 ad banner
View north west, 2007 (photo via Weaver Street Market)
View north east, 2007 (photo via Weaver Street Market)
The site today (photo by G. Kueber, 07.31.2016)