Stephen Taylor Forrest established the Forrest General Store in 1895. His sons Carl and Ernest Forrest took over the business just prior to their father's death in December 1910. They renamed the business Forrest & Forrest. Carl later became the sole proprietor.
From 1904 to circa 1924 the store housed the Efland Post Office, with Daniel E. Forrest, then Roberts Riley, then Bettie A. Clark as postmaster.
The property is still owned by the Forrest family.
View north, 1910s, with Postmaster Roberts Riley
View north, circa 1920
Downtown Efland, view west, circa 1925, with Forrest & Forrest at right
Circa 1942, with SC Forrest, Jr., Archie Gray Williams, and Tom Crutchfield, Sr.
The former Forrest & Forrest warehouse, view north, circa 1970s
All photos courtesy of Joe Dunn (RIP). Also thanks to Phil Mace and The Upper Eno Heritage Group for access to the photos and for additional information.