View north, circa 1900 (via UNC)
1911 Sanborn map excerpt (house is at #67)
After moving to Chapel Hill in 1797, Pleasant Henderson
purchased this property, where he "built a large home on Franklin Street for his growing family and student boarders." He also built a store on the property, partnering with Thomas Searcy as "Henderson & Searcy." Henderson's house was stoned by students during the student uprising of 1799
because of his negligence as steward
of the University.
The property was sold to Anna L. Ashe in 1839; she sold it to Andrew Mickle in 1867.
Dr. William P. Mallett purchased this property in November 1881 from H. A. London (commisioner, via a legal action, likely regarding the Mickle estate). Mallett also had his physician's office at the south west corner of the property, and operated a drugstore nearby. The house was described as being in poor shape when they purchased it.
Called the Emory place in newspaper accounts (although no Emory is listed in the deeds). Dr. Mallett died in October 1889; his wife, Caroline Deberniere Walker, died in August 1900. It was lived in and owned by their daughter, Caroline Eliza Mallett (and co-owned by a few other family members), until they sold it to the U.S. government in February 1915. It is now the location of the U. S. post office
, built in 1917.
1937 newspaper account excerpt (CHW)