08.14.2016 (G. Kueber)
(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
This one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, Quaker-plan, Federal-style farmhouse was originally constructed around 1785 in Person County, just north of the Orange County line. While the stone chimneys were reconstructed around 1981 when the house was moved, the rubble-stone foundation and beaded weatherboards were added after the move. The house has six-over-nine wood-sash windows with three-part beaded surrounds and heavy curved windowsills. There are four-over-four windows in the gables flanking the chimneystacks. The hip-roofed porch dates from c. 1810 and wraps around the left (west) elevation and is supported by chamfered posts. In 1998, a one-story, shed-roofed rear wing was enlarged creating the existing two-story wing. A one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled wing was constructed at the same time and connects to the left rear (northwest) corner of the original house with an asymmetrical gabled roof that allows for a full second story on the rear (north) elevation. This addition has beaded weatherboards, nine-over-nine wood-sash windows, and six-over-six windows in two gabled dormers on the façade. A side-gabled screened porch extends from the left gable end of the addition. The Holman family constructed the house, though by 1850 it was occupied by Elmore and Rebecca Gates.