The tobacco factory of H.P. Jones and Company was located near the railroad station, about where West End is today. The wooden, two-story, 40-by-70 foot factory was built circa 1871, and the factory began operation in 1872. The factory was powered by steam, and manufactured the smoking tobacco brands Tar Heel and Occoneechee, and received an award for "Fine Smoking Tobacco" at the 1877 North Carolina State Fair.
By 1900, H.P. Jones and Company was out of business and the factory building was vacant; Jones died March 17, 1901. In 1905, the structure was being used as a barn and was owned by A.J. Ruffin. In late 1908/early 1909, the J.C. Rosemond Shuttle Block Factory was using the factory building. Sometime between 1911 and 1916, the building was demolished.
Excerpt of 1894 Sanborn map
Excerpt of 1900 Sanborn map
Excerpt of 1905 Sanborn map
Excerpt from the July 23, 1908 Orange County Observer
Excerpt of 1911 Sanborn map