On October 5, 1846, John Wesley Carr
purchased a two-acre property, Town Lot 7, from UNC. He had a house
built on the property, and a one-story wooden store built on the northwest corner of Franklin and Columbia streets, selling "general merchandise."
Carr expanded the building circa 1879, although what was sold from/in it is unknown. John W. Carr died in May 1889, leaving the property to his wife, Eliza Pannill (Bullock) Carr. The Carr family sold some/much of the property via auction in 1907 to Junius T. Harris
, who in turn sold it to William R. Lloyd
By 1911, the building housed a meat and grocery stores (maybe operated by Mr. Gooch?). Sometime in 1912 the two stores were combined and used as H. C. Wills' Hardware Store, later Chapel Hill Hardware, owned/operated by H. C. and C. L. Wills.
In 1921, it became The Hill Bakery
, owned/operated by William B. Neal
and C. B. Guthrie. 
William R. Lloyd sold the property to Bruce Strowd
in 1923. A new building was built on the site in 1923 for Strowd's Ford dealership
, with the Hill Bakery moving into a new building on East Franklin Street.
March 1911 Sanborn Map excerpt (#704-705)
December 1915 Sanborn Map excerpt (#704-705)
October 1913 ad (DTH)
September 1916 ad (DTH)
October 11, 1921 ad (DTH)
April 26, 1923 Chapel Hill Weekly
 Orange County deed book 32, page 221
 Bryant, Occupants and Structures of Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, North Carolina at 5-Year Intervals, 1793-1998. (1999)
 Orange County deed book 59, page 397, book 61, page 200
 Sanborn Map Company, Chapel Hill-Carboro, March 1911; Bryant 1999
 The Tar Heel, October 2, 1913; September 16, 1916; Sanborn Map Company, Chapel Hill-Carboro, December 1915
 The Tar Heel, October 11, 1921