JAMES HOGG HOUSE

JAMES HOGG HOUSE

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1777
/ Demolished in
circa 1930
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Wed, 11/18/2020 - 4:41pm by SteveR

Comments

,
Hillsborough
NC
Built in
1777
/ Demolished in
circa 1930
Construction type: 
Local Historic District: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

View south, 1920s

View north east

View north east

A watercolor painting of the house (image from the North Carolina Museum of History)

 

This structure was built circa 1777 for James Hogg.

Local lore has it that Daniel Boone utilized King Street to go to and from Hogg's house in the 1770s while working for the Transylvania Company. In January 1781, Hogg's house was a regular stop for British and Loyalist officers when Cornwallis and his army occupied Hillsborough. On September 12, 1781, the house was partially ransacked when David Fanning and his troops raided Hillsborough. The North Carolina Chapter of the Society of the Cincinnati was founded in this structure October 23, 1783.

Hogg sold the house and property to Cullen Pollock in 1794 (and they moved to Poplar Hill). After Pollock's death, his nephew sold the property to Thomas Ruffin in January 1811, and the Ruffin family lived in the house from circa 1809 to 1829. Paul C. Cameron purchased the property from Ruffin circa 1854.

Rebecca B. Wall had the building razed (it was likely quite dilapidated) in the 1920s or 1930s when she owned the property.

Add new comment