Jordan Grove, view south east, circa 1891 (post office structure is to right)
Jordan's Grove was a very small community on the Hillsboro to Leasburg Road (present-day Wilkerson Road, near Ormond Road). It was named for William H. Jordan, who owned the property since the 1840s and who built the main section of this house circa 1865-1870, after he returned from Confederate militia service in the Civil War (he was a captain in Orange County's Company Number 10, 46th Regiment, 11th Brigade).
1891 Tate map excerpt showing Jordan Grove
From December 1888 to April 1891, a post office was operated by Jordan in a small two-story structure to the south of his house. Jordan died here in January 1892, which is likely the reason the "community" faded and the post office ceased operation.
In 1918, the house and post office structures were connected by a two-story structure resembling a "Triple A" structure.
The land the Jordan house is on was advertised for public sale in the Orange County Observer by Jordan’s wife and executrix of his estate, Mary, “at the court house door” in Hillsborough on July 19, 1897. The property was described as being “known as the W. H. Jordan home place” and as containing 260 acres. William’s son Thomas purchased it from his estate in 1897, and then immediately sold one-half interest in the property to Thomas’s sister (and executrix of the estate), Virginia/Jenny/Jennie McDade in 1897. She later sold portions (for a total of 117 acres) of the family property in 1908. Jennie is said to have lived in the house until her death in 1965. Jordan family reunions were held at the house in the mid-20th century.
Circa 1940 (via Ancestry.com)
The Jordan and McDade families sold additional pieces of the original property over time, but it seems as if the “main section” of the property with the dwelling on it wasn’t sold by the family (a daughter of Jennie’s to be specific) until 1971, to James and Jane Sparks. The Sparks family subdivided the property sometime prior to 2007.
Jordan Grove, view east, 1993 (Courtesy Orange County DEAPR and Peter Sandbeck)
Jordan Grove, view north east, 1993 (Courtesy Orange County DEAPR and Peter Sandbeck)
Former Jordan Grove post office, view north east, 2013 (S. Rankin)
Notes on the post office:
The “Jordan’s Grove” post office operated from 19 December 1888 to 28 April 1891, when it was moved north to the Orange County community of Laws
. The Jordan Grove post office is said to have been either operated from the two-story structure to the south of his house, or from an ell at the rear of the main house. “Jordan’s Grove” as a location or community appears to have first come into use (at least officially) when the post office began operation in December 1888. It likely became “obsolete” as a named community (officially, that is) when the post office was moved north to the community of Laws in 1891 and after the death of William Jordan in 1892 (and/or due to his poor health in 1891).