Laws' Store (a.k.a. Laws' Crossroads) was located in north-eastern Cedar Grove Township, almost on the Person County line. It was named for James Laws, Jr.'s general store on the Hillsboro to Gordonton/Leasburg Road (at the intersection of present-day Wilkerson/Wheeler's Church Road and Hurdle Mills Road).
Laws' post office and store, 1891 Tate map excerpt
Laws' store, 1918 soil map excerpt
Laws initially purchased the property in September 1878. A post office was in the store operated by Laws, beginning in December 1881. James Laws, Jr. was a farmer in addition to his operating the store.
Laws house and store, 1955 aerial photograph excerpt (north is up)
In February 1905, the post office was discontinued, with mail service transferred to nearby Hurdle Mills (a small community to the east in Person County). Circa 1910, deed records refer to the "Store house lot" and the "Store lot."
In the 1920s, a gas station was built across the road from the site of the original Laws' general store.
Laws store gas station, 1993 (courtesy Orange County DEAPR and Peter Sandbeck)
James Laws, Jr. died in January 1929, and is buried at Walnut Grove Church
. The 1955 aerial shows the Laws house, original general store, and the service station; the 1975 aerial shows the former Laws house and the service station. As of February 2014, the former James Laws house is still standing, but is in poor condition.