In July 1888, permission was granted by the Orange County commissioners for the Hillsboro mayor and town commissioners to erect a brick building on the southwest corner of the courthouse square for use as the mayor's office and guard house (jail).
The building committee was: H. Richards, Jr., George Laws, and D. Y. Mebane. The contractor was James Carmichael. The construction cost $560, with the town paying for it.
The front section of the building was used as the mayor's office; the rear had two jail cells.
It was first occupied on April 19, 1889.
When a new jail
was built in 1928, the office was then used only by the mayor. In early 1934 the building was demolished via a WPA/FERA/NCERA project
as part of a "beautification" of the courthouse square.
View south, circa 1922 (postcard excerpt)
April 27, 1889 Orange County Observer (newspaper) excerpt
1894 Sanborn map excerpt
1911 Sanborn map excerpt