Built in 1933 for David and Laura Valinda (Hill) DuBose. David DuBose acquired part of this property in 1928 through his marriage to Valinda, daughter of John Sprunt Hill; other sections were purchased in 1931, eventually totally almost 180 acres. (The house is just over the county line into Durham County.)
The architects for the house were Herbert G. Crisp and James R. Edwards, Jr., of the architectural firm of Joseph Evans Sperry of Baltimore, Maryland. The contractor/builder was the George W. Kane Company (of Durham).
This house was built at the site of an 18th century house, originally the home of Christopher Barbee and his family (the Barbees also did enslave people, BTW). Its foundation is still visible, and a “playhouse” was built atop it in the 1930s after the original structure was demolished/disassembled. There is also a Barbee family cemetery not far from the house that was utilized in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
The house was listed on the NRHP in 1985.
In 1988 DuBose/Hill descendants donated the property to UNC, which developed the property in the late 1990s as the Paul J. Rizzo Conference Center; the surrounding area was developed into "Meadowmont," a mixed-use development of housing and shops.
Circa 1985 (photo by Davyd F. Hood, from the NRHP form)