MILLICAN'S MILL / WEBB & MORROW'S MILL / MORROW'S MILL

MILLICAN'S MILL / WEBB & MORROW'S MILL / MORROW'S MILL

7923
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1877-1878
/ Modified in
1938-1939
,
2017
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Tue, 08/30/2022 - 7:53pm by SteveR

Comments

7923
,
Chapel Hill
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1877-1878
/ Modified in
1938-1939
,
2017
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 

 

Circa 1885
 
What later became known as Morrow's Mill was established by Robert Millican/Millikan in 1780. After being passed down through Millican's heirs, the mill and property was sold to William Morrow in 1822 (thanks to Mark Chilton for this information). The mill's dam was/is located on Cane Creek.
 
The last mill structure was built circa 1878 by George T. Morrow, who is said to have operated the mill until 1931. This may have been the third mill structure built at this site since 1780.
 
The mill is shown on the 1891 Tate map of Orange County as Webb & Morrow's mill. The 1918 soil map of Orange County shows the mill but doesn't name it. Webb & Morrow may also have operated a general store at this location.
 
In 1938, Sample and Ina Forbus purchased the property from the Mitchell-Rogers family, and had the mill building converted/remodeled into a residence. They moved in in November 1939.
 
1891 Tate map excerpt
 
1918 soil map excerpt
 
 
 
October 1958 (via the Chapel Hill News Leader)
 
2015 (photo by MdM Historical Consultants, Inc.)
 
The mill dam, 2015 (photo by MdM Historical Consultants, Inc.)

Add new comment