PIEDMONT ELECTRIC MEMBERSHIP CORPORATION / 129 E. TRYON ST.

PIEDMONT ELECTRIC MEMBERSHIP CORPORATION / 129 E. TRYON ST.

129
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1949
/ Modified in
1961
Architectural style: 
,
,
,
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Thu, 10/14/2021 - 11:08am by gary

Comments

129
,
Hillsborough
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1949
/ Modified in
1961
Architectural style: 
,
,
,
Construction type: 
,
Local Historic District: 
National Register: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

February 1950 (via News of Orange)

Architect's drawing of proposed second story, 1960 (via News of Orange)

1960s (History of the Town of Hillsborough 1754-1966)

The structure was built in mid-1949 into early 1950. It housed PEMC's general offices, garage, storage rooms, warehouse, and furnished model kitchen (so as to display the uses of electricity to customers). Hackney & Knott (of Durham) were the architects, the George W. Kane Construction Company (of Durham) was the contractor. The grand opening/open house for PEMC's new headquarters was held February 4, 1950.

In 1961 a second story was added. Charles Knott was the architect; Delta Construction (of Durham) and Sumter Builders (of South Carolina) were the contractors.

From the architectural inventory of Hillsborough:

This mid-century office building has two offset two-story sections, each with a brick veneer and flat roof with wide eaves and copper trim. The left (west) section has a projecting glass storefront under an aluminum awning. The right (east) section has a bank of first-floor windows that extend the full width of the façade under an aluminum awning. Both sections have stacked awning windows in concrete surrounds at the second-floor level. A one-story, flat-roofed wing at the rear (north) has aluminum-framed storefront windows and doors sheltered by aluminum awnings on the east elevation. According to Bellinger, the building, which had been constructed for the Piedmont Electric Company around 1950 as a one-story structure, had been enlarged to two stories in 1960.

08.14.2016 (G. Kueber)

Add new comment