From the National Register nomination:
Located near the northwest corner of West Tryon and North Churton streets, the Hillsborough Presbyterian Church was constructed on Lot 98, a lot reserved in 1757 for "church, school, and graveyard." The front-gabled building faces the Old Town Cemetery to the west. It is of Flemish-bond brick construction, though it has been covered with scored stucco. The hip-roofed entrance tower on the left (west) elevation has paired four-panel doors beneath a pointed arch multi-light transom. The tower is sheathed with wood shingles and there are unpainted scalloped wood shingles in the front gable and on the upper two-thirds of the tower. There are paired arched vents on each elevation of the tower, which has a flared hipped roof and a spire. The side elevations are four bays deep and have ten-over-ten Victorian multi-light wood-sash windows with pointed arch transoms.
(UNC Postcard Collection)
A c. 1892 two-story side-gabled, wing at the rear (east) is six bays wide and three bays deep. It extends beyond the width of the church and there is a small, two-story, gabled tower entrance on each side where it intersects the front-gabled church. It is covered with stucco and has six-over-six wood-sash windows. A one- story hyphen on the north elevation connects to a gabled education wing on the north.
St. Matthew's Church of England, the first church in Hillsborough, was built on the site about 1769 and burned about 1797. In 1815-1816 the present building was constructed near the site of the earlier church using funds from a state-authorized lottery. John Berry and Samuel Hancock are credited with the work. Over the years, the building has gradually been updated so that no original fabric is visible on the exterior. The stuccoed exterior, pointed-arch Gothic windows, gabled roof, and shingled entrance tower and steeple were added in 1892 and the two-story, side-gabled rear wing was likely added at this time. In 1948, the large, one-story educational wing was added to the north side of the 1892 wing. On the interior, the original pews are still in place and the slave gallery remains, although it may have been altered. This may be the oldest Presbyterian church building in North Carolina in which services have been continuously held.