"Built in 1949, the locally significant Schley Grange Hall meets National Register of Historic Places Criterion A for social history as the Orange County agricultural community of Schley’s primary meeting place and recreational center. The building is the only dedicated Grange hall identified in the county’s
up-to-date comprehensive architectural survey and thus is recognized as the only extant historic example of this resource type retaining integrity to survive in Orange County. Schley Grange No. 710 has been the area’s largest fraternal association since its 1931 creation at the height of the North Carolina Grange’s twentieth-century revitalization. Subsidized by a $50,000 national community service award from SearsRoebuck Foundation, Schley Grange Hall replaced the decommissioned frame public school where the group had previously gathered. Grange members successfully executed five initiatives to win the competition, garnering a fully equipped building that quickly became the community’s social hub. The Grange hosted educational and recreational events and encouraged the agricultural extension service, healthcare providers, American Legion Post 452, and the community at large to do the same. Facilities including a concession building/cook house, baseball/softball field, and horseshoe pitching pits were added by 1960 and supplemented through the early-twenty-first-century with a picnic shelter, restroom building, and batting cage. The period of significance begins with the Grange hall’s 1949 completion and continues through 1970. The building’s function after 1970 is not of exceptional significance."
the above image from Stuart Noblin "The Grange In North Carolina, 1929-1954" (Greensboro: Piedmont Press, 1954), page 47
the above image from "National Grange and the Sears-Roebuck Foundation, For the Common Good" (Washington, D. C.:
National Grange Public Relations Department, 1950), page 22