The Session House was built in 1836 for use as a Sunday school and meeting ("session") room by the adjacent Presbyterian church's congregation. The property the structure was built on was leased to the church by the Town for 99 years at $1.00 a year.
View north west, circa 1910 (clip of a hand colored postcard from the Durwood Barbour Collection, UNC)
View north east, circa 1910 (clip of a hand colored postcard from the Durwood Barbour Collection, UNC)
1888 Sanborn fire insurance map, showing the Session House on the corner.
In 1910, the structure was loaned to the newly-formed local library association and converted into the town library.
At some point after 1911, the north tower was removed from the building; a shed porch and door were added to the west side of the building.
In 1934, the Session House building was torn down and a new building, named the Confederate Memorial Library, was built on the site.