View north west (via UNC Postcard collection)
View north east, circa 1918 (via UNC)
The North Carolina chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was established at the University of North Carolina in 1857; it was suspended in 1862 (due to the Civil War), and reestablished in 1885.
This S.A.E. "frat hall" was built circa 1910; the fraternity previously occupied a building to the east of their new one. The building was destroyed/burned in the January 8, 1919 fire on Fraternity Row that started in the rear of this structure.