From the Pelican Guide to Hillsborough, Dula, p. 98., ~1990
From the Pelican Guide By Lucile Dula:
Sunnyside, an early house, was bought and remodeled by architect John Berry (ca. 1844). Material from the original Methodist Church, a frame building on East Tryon Street, was used to build the dining room which was added about fifteen years later.
The frame dwelling has eight rooms and a Palladian window. The panelling and stair brackets are from Asher Benjamin's pattern books. The front porch Berry built has been replaced by one with columns, and the famous elm grove that once surrounded the house is gone.
It appears that as of 2016, the front porch has been modified from how it appeared in ~1990, above; it also appears to have been glazed with a veneer of asphalt singles, replacement windows, and a badly undersized fanlight above the entry.
10.09.2016 (G. Kueber)