The Thomas F. Lloyd Manufacturing Company was organized in February 1910, with Thomas's brother Lueco Lloyd, and Issac W. Pritchard and William S. Roberson as business partners. The original mill building(s) was/were built in 1911. Its main function was the spinning of cotton yarn.
The mill was sold to the Durham Hosiery Mills Corporation/Company by February 1913, becoming Durham Hosiery Mill No. 7. The business was dissolved in June 1938, and its workers laid off. In 1942, the National Munitions Corporation bought the property and converted the mill buildings into a shell loading plant, assembling anti-aircraft ammunition for the war (WWII) effort. It closed in August 1945.
In early 1959 it was acquired by Pacific Mills and named Carrboro Woolen Mills. It was then leased by Burlington Mills, which sold the property and mill to the Jeffiene Corporation (of New York) also in 1959. In 1960 it became Superior Mills (a division of the BVD Company) until its closing in 1969-70. The building (its address listed as 145 E. Weaver Street) is listed as vacant in 1970.
The mill was demolished sometime between 1970 and 1974. The property was sold in 1970 and the current structure was built in 1974.
The Thomas F. Lloyd Historic District is on the National Registry.
View south east, circa 1920 (photo from the Mack Watts Collection, via Richard Ellington)
1911 Sanborn map excerpt
1915 Sanborn map excerpt
1925 Sanborn map excerpt
View north, circa 1940 (via Weaver Street Market)
Excerpt of 1947 Associated Factory Mutual Fire Insurance Companies map (via UNC)
1955 USDA aerial photo excerpt (Mill No. 2 is at mid-right in photo)
Circa 1970 Bird's eye view of downtown Carrboro photo excerpt
From the April 28, 1960 Chapel Hill Weekly
Orange County Register of Deeds
Deed of Incorporation Book 1, Page 361
Deed of Incorporation Book 62, Page 276
Deed Book 62, Page 276
Deed Book 64, Page 49
Deed Book 116, Page 99
Deed Book 170, Page 126
Deed Book 171, Page 281
Deed Book 171, Page 288
Deed Book 211, Page 753
Deed Book 226, Page 1849
Deed Book 226, Page 1946
Plat Book 4, Page 33
Carrboro, N.C.: An Architectural & Historic Buildings Inventory, 1983
Chapel Hill city directories, 1957-1974
The Chapel Hill Weekly (newspaper)
January 29, 1959
February 2, 1959
April 28, 1960